Did you know that birds can catch and spread diseases from dirty bird feeders and moldy seed? We know you love the birds, so we thought we’d share five quick tips for keeping those bird feeders clean. The birds will love you for it.
- Clean every 2 weeks.
- More often during the rainy seasons.
- Use a mild cleaner.
- Mix 1 part bleach with 9 parts water.
- Substitute vinegar for bleach to prevent damage to wooden feeders.
- Scrub the inside, outside, feeding ports and perches
- Remove droppings, mold and dirt
- Brushes designed for scrubbing out feeding ports make the task simpler
- Let it dry before refilling
- Damp seed can develop mold quickly which may lead to health problems for birds
- Clean the ground below the feeder
- Leftovers can sprout
- Droppings and discarded seed and shells can harbor bacteria
You’ll find bird feeders, bird bathes, brushes, bird seed, suet and other goodies in our Lawn and Garden section.